Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Why Things Always Go Wrong



I chose the Rome Cavalieri Hilton for a number of reasons. Rome is lovely, but it's so busy and crowded, I wanted to find an oasis from which to escape from sight-seeing at the end of the day. In the hills, overlooking Rome, not more than ten minutes from the Vatican, the Cavalieri is just such a place. Add to that a restaurant that just earned its third Michelin Star, an award-class spa, an Executive Floor Business Center, and one of the most lovely pool settings ever -- not to mention in a city environment -- and I knew I had the makings for a pleasant experience -- maybe.



As it turns out, my trip to Rome is not one that I would necessarily characterize as a ?pleasant experience.? In fact, it resembled more the kind of nightmare depicted on television commercials for the American Express card and travelers checks. I can remember watching those commercials and thinking, ?those poor inexperienced sots. They don't need American Express, they just need to accept the realities of city travel and be more careful.?



I've found in life that it's always a big mistake to be cocky.
More On

No comments:

Post a Comment